Fintech organization in Amsterdam
About the position
As the VP Architecture, you lead the technical strategy for this organization's products, while evangelizing their technology both internally to their product development organization, consultancy organization as well as externally to their prospects, customers, and industry analysts.
As VP Architecture you work with various stakeholders -- sales, pre-sales, consultancy, etc. to craft and drive this organization's technology vision and roadmap.
You recruit, support, inspire, and scale a culture of craftsmanship, innovation, and commitment within their product development organization; evolving the way they build software through leadership and execution.
You navigate the balance of delivering amazing products with investing in the future to ensure a thriving technology foundation and culture; enabling the organization to make the right strategic and tactical technical decisions while ensuring they have the capability to execute.
- Financial Services technology / fintech market expertise with a particular focus on channel solutions
- You have 10+ years of relevant engineering, implementations and/or architecture experience, and 4+ years of people management experience in a fast-growing company
- Technical experience working for either a) larger bank in an IT leadership role or b) an enterprise software company and/or for a Systems Integrator (SI). Having done both will be considered a plus.
- Able to travel up to 50% to our multiple offices, nearshore partners, customers, and prospects
- Excellent public speaking skills/experience and clear written communication
- The leadership of a large (at least 50, ideally 100+), growing team of engineers through several evolutions of process and organization
- Strong technical background in Java, Spring, mobile development, and cloud deployment/ management; retaining the ability to realize designs and thoughts through the code
This organization is not looking for a VP Architecture that comes in with the goal to upgrade their technology stack to a cutting-edge framework, ready to win the latest buzzword bingo contest.
You have good people skills and are a crisp, clear communicator. You feel confident on stage, in customer meetings, and being challenged by your technical team.
For this, you have a background in architecture and have been hands-on in the code for a big part of your career. You’ve been through it, and you know how to prevent issues before the organization encounters them.
You understand the many layers of software and infrastructure from network up to the high-level design, and people you work with seeking you out for this reason. You are about creating business value, technology is supporting this.
You steer the team of technical directors responsible for the areas of back-end development, front-end development, mobile development, DevOps, QA, and security; as well as the architects in product development teams. You are part of the Product Development Management Team.
You know what it takes to run a large-scale production system in the financial services industry. And ideally, have experience bringing those traditional on-premise systems to the cloud.
You are street smart and pragmatic, you value adoption of leading third-party frameworks and open source components over building ‘yet another framework’ in-house.
Forward planning for ~10x growth in the organization's customer base, designing the architecture and development practices to get them there.